Tuesday, July 20, 2010

10 years....

My wife and I recently celebrated our 10th Wedding Anniversary. Looking back over the last ten years my life has definitely changed. Little did I know that decisions I made back then would lead me to where I am now. There are decisions I regret, things I would undo if I could, words I wish I had left unsaid. But, there are have many little surprises along the way that I never would have anticipated.

Ten years ago I was a Youth Director for a church in Lubbock, about to begin an internship ministering to college students. My wife was preparing to start her first year of teaching elementary school. We then moved to Kentucky where we both attended Seminary and each received a Masters Degree. We have lived in two states, 4 cities/towns, and 6 houses/apartments. We went from being a family of two, to being a family of six.

Life seemed so much easier back then. There were less meetings, more time with our friends, less talk about budgets, more time for spontaneity, less dirty diapers…
Looking back always makes me look forward. What goals should I have accomplished over the past 10 years? What do I regret doing? What do I rejoice over accomplishing? How can I make the next ten years better?

Recently our City Administrator said it is reasonable to project our cities population could double and almost triple over the next ten years. A 600 home development has been proposed for our community, and there is talk of a second development. There is talk of new businesses coming to Clyde. There has been work done to make our downtown area look more attractive.

We stand looking through a doorway of opportunities and possibilities for the next ten years. What will we do? Will we make a community we can take pride in, or will we be a loose affiliation of people who live in close proximity to each other. Will we make strides in being a place where our children will want to raise their children, or will we be like so many other communities who see their children leave only to return for holidays and a few special occasions?

I never could have imagined ten years ago the things I have done, the things I have been a part of, the blessings I have received. I look forward to the next ten years with my wife. I also look forward to the next ten years for this community. There are things I hope for, there are things I want to work towards, and I know that I will be amazed by the little surprises that pop up now and again.

In ten years as we look back at what we have accomplished, what will we say about the work done in our families, our neighborhoods, our businesses, our community?

No comments:

Post a Comment