Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Boynton & Cronin

How quickly and easily we forget things. Our staff recently rearranged two offices in our building. We have been talking about making a few changes but the arrival of a new printer necessitated a much bigger change than we anticipated.

We were in the midst of moving furniture and equipment around when a staff member and I looked at each other and said to each other, “We had the office arranged like this before, but for some reason we changed it.” I think we both had this sinking feeling, and wondered if we were about to have to undo several hours of work. We discussed, and thought and tried to remember why we had made the change. During our discussion, we began to remember pieces of furniture that used to be in the offices and where they had been moved. We had become so accustomed to seeing those pieces of furniture in their new places that we had forgotten they had not always been there. We know there was a reason changed the configuration but could not remember why. So we took the chance that this time, we will like the arrangement and not have to move furniture and equipment (for awhile).

Recently I have started reading “bigger” books to our youngest child before he goes to bed. We had been “reading” picture books to our youngest before tucking him into bed. But now, I am reading books that I have come to enjoy probably more than the kids. I have come to enjoy reading to our children the writings of Sandra Boynton and Doreen Cronin. As I have pulled out books that have been on the shelf for awhile, I begin to remember reading these books to my other children. I also remember their faces as we got closer to a part in the book that they are eagerly awaiting. It might have been the part where we say together “Click Clack Moo, Click Clack Moo, Clickety Clack Moo” as we read Click Clack Moo Cows That Type, or they wait for me to tickle them as we said “Scrub, Scrub, Scrub” while reading The Going-To-Bed Book, or maybe it was the silly dance we did as we read Pajama Time or Barnyard Dance.

I enjoy reading to my youngest son, but wouldn’t want my older children to be back at this stage. I enjoy the sparkle in my youngest child’s eyes as we read, but I also enjoy the way my older children are able to now read a story to me.

Moments can take us back to remember things we may have forgotten. Sometimes we remember so we “don’t do that again,” other times we remember so we will. There are times we remember and have to think really hard as to why things changed or remember things have not always been like this. There are other times we remember exactly why things changed and are grateful they have.

The offices are just about put back together in their new arrangement, and we hope we won’t have to rearrange any time soon. For now we will “enjoy” trying to remember where this and that has been moved to.

No comments:

Post a Comment