Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Making a Difference

I am a part of several groups, teams, and committees that discuss how to better meet the needs and serve those who live within the boundaries of our area. It was not long ago that I attend a meeting where we discussed meeting the needs of a specific demographic within our area. Everyone agreed that something needed to be done to meet the needs of this specific group.

It just so happened that we had several present from this demographic. Someone had the bright idea to ask them what it would take to begin working with them to meet their needs. These people began to open up about their lives and what it is that they need in their lives. I was a little surprised someone actually asked them the question. I was a little more surprised at how open these people were about how we could help. I was utterly shocked at the response by some of those seated around me.
I overheard a few people around me say something to the effect; “No one has ever done that for us, why should we do that for them?” Now I think that response was intended to be a whisper, but it did not come out that way.

It can be easy to point at the problems we experience in community, in organizations, in families, etc. It gets a little harder when prescriptions are put forward to make the group better, or healthier. Following a prescription usually requires that I make a change in my life. Change is not always easy. Change is especially difficult when the benefit of the change that is required doesn’t directly affect me.

It is an optimistic desire to want to help those we see that have a need. It is a selfish desire to want to meet their needs without it changing us. The question really comes down to, “Do I really want to make a difference?” I think most of us want things to be different in our community, in the organizations we are a part of, our families, etc., but are we willing to be a part of making the difference? If so, we need to make changes to our lives so that we have opportunities to help those around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment