Thursday, March 10, 2011

Ashes...

The Season of Lent has begun. You might have seen some of your co-workers, neighbors, etc. with a gray-ish smudge on their foreheads yesterday. In my faith tradition, Lent is a time to take stock of our lives and make decisions on how to make changes so that our lives more closely reflect our beliefs.

Some people use the Season of Lent to eliminate bad habits from their life, or to become healthier, or to spend more time with family… For many Lent has become a time for giving something up. Lent is meant to be a time for us to once again take stock of our lives, what is good and what needs changing.

For many of us we want our lives to be better. We want our relationships to be healthier. We want our waist lines to be smaller. We want our lives to be different in some way, but our lives are so busy it becomes difficult to find time to not only think about how different our lives could be but what we need to do to live into those desires.

Those who lived before us saw wisdom in taking different seasons of the year to focus on something area of our lives. They came to realize if we don’t focus on something we will fail to focus on anything. For me, Lent has become less about giving up something and more about giving myself to something. For me, giving up soft drinks or television just to give something up might not be the best use of this season. But, trying to become a better husband, or a better father, or friend might be much more beneficial. I know if I gave up soft drinks, at the end of Lent I would resume this consumption. But if I become a better husband I’m not going to slip back into being less of a husband.

I hope that you find a way to take advantage of this season, and your life becomes more complete by the focus of the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment