Tuesday, March 22, 2011

A Rattail and an Earring...

When I was younger, my Mom made sure that my brother’s and my hair was cut regularly and that we were presentable. My aunt cut hair for a living, and one of my Mom’s really good friends was in charge of the School of Cosmetology at our local Junior College. My Mom had her definition of what a “presentable” young man should look like, and if I ever wanted to make a change to my presentation she would ask, “How would you look in a suit?” or “Would you really want to go to church like that?” That was usually the end of me trying to make a change. I never really thought of it, but rarely did I have a suit to wear, and if I did I rarely wore it. Once in Junior High, Mom let me walk to get my hair cut. All my friends were growing rattails, so since Mom was not with me I told the lady cutting my hair I was going to grow a rattail. I walked back proudly having made my decision. However as soon as Mom saw it she made me turn around and walk back and get my hair cut again.

After my Mom passed away, I continued to get my hair cut in the same way and try to dress in a way that was her type of “presentable.” I could still hear her voice asking me, “How would you look in a suit?” Over the years I did let my hair get a little longer than she would have liked. During a few “rebellious” months I parted my hair in a different place and had an earring. It wasn’t until after I got married that I really made some changes. My wife wanted me to have my hair cut much differently than how my Mom would have liked it. I felt like I was doing something wrong by not getting my hair cut the way Mom would have wanted it.

Last fall my wife said she wanted me to grow my hair out. So, I let my hair grow much longer than I have ever let it grow. Recently my wife told me she decided she didn’t like it long. So, I cut it off. Over the past few months I have had people tell me they liked my longer locks or they disliked my locks. Some thought my longer locks made me look younger; others have said I look more “presentable” without them.

We all have voices that speak into our lives. Sometimes those voices inhibit what we do, at other times they spur us forward. Sometimes the voices compete with each other. Part of growing up is learning which voices to listen to, and which voices not to. Have you been listening to the right voices? Maybe you find yourself where you are because of the voices you have listened to. Maybe it is time to stop listening to certain voices and start listening to others. It may be time to stop listening to the voices that want to mold you into how they think you should be, so that you can listen to the voices that encourage you to live into the person you were created to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment