Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Lunch Mistake

There are times I get so focused on what I am doing that I miss something more important. Recently I was volunteering at the school. I was there to volunteer my time and hopefully be a help to the teachers and staff at the school. One of the teachers approached me to tell me that one of my children was waiting for me to come eat with them.

I messed up. I was so focused on giving of my time to the school, I missed an opportunity my child was asking to have with me. In my head I was there to be a help to the school. That is what I was focused on. It didn’t occur to me that I could/should take a few minutes to spend with my child as they ate.

It is easy to be so focused, we miss important opportunities. Will my child bear an emotional scar because I did not take the time to eat with them? Probably not. But my child was asking for me. My child wanted my time and my attention. Because I was so focused on what I was doing, I missed an opportunity to be with my child.

How often do we miss moments because we are too focused? What is it that we miss out on because our focus becomes like a pair of blinders? Moments seem so inconsequential. Moments are so quick, so small they seem to not matter. Moments are what make a difference in lives. Moments are what change history. We live in a society that is so busy, so focused, that too often we miss having an impact, making a difference, giving time, love, attention, etc.

May you take moments to make a difference. May you be able to see the big picture and where you are needed most. May others be changed because you took a moment and changed a life!

No comments:

Post a Comment